Kilchoman Fèis Ìle Day 2022April 12, 2022
Fèis Ìle is back! After two years of being restricted to online events, we are delighted to be gearing up to welcome you back to Kilchoman in person for Fèis Ìle 2022. We’re sure this will be our best festival day ever!
We have been busy selecting a range of special drams and cask samples for the masterclasses as well as planning various tours, activities, live music and entertainment which will take place throughout the day. And of course, there will be our Fèis Ìle 2022 release which will be available from the distillery shop only (limited to one bottle per person). £150 per bottle (70cl), approx. 900 bottles.
To celebrate welcoming visitors back to Islay for Fèis Ìle 2022 Anthony Wills, Kilchoman Founder, has selected some very special casks. The 2022 Fèis Ìle is a combination of 5 first fill bourbon barrels filled in 2006, making this a 16-year-old release! With just 7 casks filled in 2005, these represent some of the earliest casks ever filled at Kilchoman.
Kilchoman Fèis Ìle Day is Thursday 2nd June 2022. All the Masterclasses and a selection of events and tours can be booked in advance, click here for full details and availability.
- 10:30 – Founder’s Cask Tasting with Anthony Wills (Open to Club Members only, sign up here)
- 12:00 – Barley Varieties Exploration Tasting with Peter Wills & Robin Bignal
- 13:30 – Live Online Tasting with Anthony & James Wills – Tasting Packs are available to purchase from the distillery and online shop (click here)
- 13:30 – Archive Fèis Ìle Releases with Peter Wills & Antea Allegro
- 15:00 – Comraich Tasting with James Wills and Catherine MacMillan
- Be A Bottler – 9:30, 11:00, 12:30, 14:00, 15:30 (includes a personalised bottle of a Distillery Exclusive Single Cask).
- Islay’s Farm Tour – 10:00, 12:30, 15:00 – Islay Heads, General Manager, will take you on a guided tour around the farm and local area, sampling a few drams along the way!
- Range Tastings – 11:00. 12:00, 15:00 (Tickets can be purchased on the day at The Bar)
All our major production areas will be open and operational throughout the day so it’s a great chance to see it all in action and chat to the experts that work at each stage, these include;
- Still House – chat with the still house team, take a look at our stills in action and try some new make which was distilled from different barley varieties.
- Malt Floor – discover the ancient art of traditional floor malting, try turning the malt yourself and enjoy a dram of 100% Islay on us.
- Warehouse – explore one of our traditional dunnage warehouses, take a picture with Cask No.1 and enjoy a nip of Machir Bay.
- Barley Fields – stop off at the Stone Cottage Field (first on your left after the Kilchoman sign at the end of the drive) where we’ve sown our two barley varieties, Sassy and Planet, side by side.
EATING, DRINKING, DANCING & SHOPPING
- The Whisky Bar will be serving endless supplies of Kilchoman limited editions, Comraich batches and cask samples.
- Cocktail Bar – our friends from The Malt Room Bar in Inverness have created a range of mixed drinks which will be available from the bar throughout the day, so fingers crossed for cocktail weather!
- There will also be two bands playing throughout the day in the Music Marquee, local meats served from the BBQ, light bites from the Salad Bar, cakes and coffees from the Café and all the branded gear you could ever want from the Gift Shop.
The whisky shop will be open from 10am stocking all our recent Limited Editions, the latest Distillery Shop Exclusive Single Casks and of course our very special Fèis Ìle 2022 bottling.
Casks – First Fill v Refill
A common talking point in the Scotch Single Malt Industry is the age of the cask being used for maturation alongside how many uses that particular cask has had over the span of its life. To become Single Malt whisky, new make spirit must be filled into and matured in…September 8, 2022